TRYING TO LOCATE BLOWER MOTOR RESISTOR

2001 Hyundai Elantra • 85 miles

I have reason to think the blower motor resistor has gone bad in my daughter's 2001 Elantra. The fan stopped working for her the other day but I can get it to come on if fan speed control knob is held between setting 3 and 4, or by pushing on the knob slightly. Maybe the problem is the control assembly itself, who knows? First I would like to confirm/eliminate the resistor as the source of the problem but I'm having problems finding it in order to test it. Thanks in advance.
Bdeboard

Sure sounds like the switch if you have to hold it between two speed settings. If you had a bad resistor card I dont how doing that would make any less bad. Do you have a mutlimeter so we can do some testing?

I do have a Multimeter. And I agree about the switch as a possible cause. I was curious about the resistor because of several other posts I have read from various online sources. Initially I was able to get the knob to stay in place between positions 3 and 4 and she drove around for a day or so with AC and a fan. Then she said it wouldn't stay in that position and she was right. The odd thing now is that if I push on the knob slightly (it seems somewhat spring-loaded) I can usually get the fan to run. But something has failed so hopefully I can find it. Thanks, first time user and will be happy to donate.

Bdeboard
Why dont you unplug the switch and if the connector or the switch itself has melted?I have it happen many times the switch fails and starts melting the connector and switch itself.

I will check the switch more closely, thanks. Do I have to remove part/all of the dash or is there another way of getting to it to check?

Bdeboard
Here is how to remove the ac controls.