TRANSMISSION PROBLEM?

2001 Ford Ranger • 2.5L 4 cylinder RWD Automatic • 150,000 miles

I've been having a problem. When I press gas to accelerate my rpms shoot up without actually accelerating then my car slams into gear and jerks hard. It has occured twice over a 2 year period for a couple weeks each time and then stops and runs fine. What's the problem?
Waddellaw

Not very descriptive and it sounds intermittent so scan for codes and check fuel pressure first. With a gauge start there. Does it seem to be more transmission related?

I don't know that's what I'm here for. How was I not descreptive? I press the gas to accelerate, the engine revs up goes nowhere then it slams hard the rpms fall back down and my truck accelerates. I dunno how else to describe it. Its not on going. Its happened twice for a couple weeks each time then it quits and drives fine. I would think if its a transmission problem that it would continue to happen until it goes completely out, but it stops doing it and drives fine for extended periods of time.

Waddellaw
It really sounds like a trans problem check the fluid then have a trans guy look at it. If the filter has been changed recently it could be that the filter wasn't installed far enough and it takes a moment for it to get to pump causing the problem as you are pressing the gas and then it sees that and increases the pressure and you get the hard application. Or it is a valve body problem and you occasionally get a sticky valve which does the same thing. Regardless a trans guy needs to look at t his.