LW2 BROKEN TIMING BELT

2000 Saturn Station Wagon • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 108,000 miles

The timing belt broke while cranking the engine. Did I bend valves? It is the 3.0liter V6 engine.
Rikb111

Most certainly, yes there are bent valves. It is an interference motor.

Dr. Hagerty
To add on this answer did the Timing belt tensioner fail?If so so will have to replace the tensioner with the new style one that requires you to replace the timing belt backing plate they sell a kit. Plus you have to address the possible bent valve's.I have seen it go both way's on those engine's bent and not bent depending on your luck and the postion of cam's when the belt let go.

It is always really great to have a REAL pro add their comments.

Dr. Hagerty
Just pitching in to help out where I can. Hope you had a great holiday and happy new year DR Hagerty.

The same to you and all your loved ones, and I really do appriciate the words of wisdom for our Saturn wagon owner, hopefully their troubles will be few.

Dr. Hagerty
Thanks for the input. I have decided to make a stab at replacing the timing belt (I will rent the special tools). I have replaced timing belts on simpler engines but was wasnt sure about the valve thing with this engine. It makes sense to me to try (I might get lucky), and if the valves are bent, then I will yank the engine and take my time fixing this. You guys helped me make my decision. Thanks.

Rikb111
Thank you for trusting us, and for letting us help with your decision.

Dr. Hagerty