VEHICLE WON'T START

2000 Pontiac Trans Am • 70,000 miles

I have a 2000 Pontiac Trans AM that won't start. Battery new, all fuses OK, relays OK, everything else works, just won't start, turn over, nothing, wondering if it is in the factory security system, and how to correct. Right now I am dead in the water. Please help.
Edsullivan

It could be the starter solenoid. There won't be that common "clicking" sound when they go bad like when you have a dead battery. When you get a near dead battery that clicking sound is the solenoid trying to pop out and engage the flywheel, but it does not have the power. They usually don't cost much. Try going to http://www.rockauto.com and you will not believe the prices you can get on name brand parts. They are a close out retailer and their stock changes fast.I got a $150.00 wiper motor for $40.00. I have seen even cheaper deals but with manufacturers I was not familiar with.

Is there a security light on or flashing when you try to start ip?

Wrenchtech
Yes, the security light is flashing when you try to start. The starter solenoid was replaced with new. Still nothing.

Edsullivan
The system is not recognizing your key. The most common cause is the sensor in the ignition switch or the wires leading up to it. You could test the wiring and replace the ignition switch which would require reprogramming of the BCM or you could just bypass the sensor.

That sensor can be bypassed. You would need a digital ohmmeter to measure the resistance of the pellet in the key. Now go to Radio Shack and buy a resister of the exact same value as the key pellet. Go to the base of the steering column and locate the two thin white wires that go up to the sensor. Cut the two wires and solder the resister between the two ends coming from the harness. This will permanently bypass the sensor but not the rest of the system.

The picture is all the possible resister values that you could have.

Wrenchtech
For those interested. I bought a replacement key with the same code, had it cut, and the car still is dead. Do I need to replace the ignition switch?

Edsullivan
The to white wires brake @ the ignition switch. A new key will not help. If this is the case then wrench is corect. Buy pass the switch or replace the switch assy.

Djcl
The key was never your problem as I indicated earlier. Possibly the sensor that reads the key but the key is nothing but a resister.

Wrenchtech