FORD TAURUS HEATER PROBLEM

2000 Ford Taurus • 150,000 miles

I'm not getting very good heat through the vents. The engine runs at normal temps, I've flushed the heater core to make sure it was clear, I've checked the thermostat control and replaced the blend door (slightly warped) by cutting an access panel in the heater box. There is a high leak in the radiator but even after having used stop leak and running with the coolant at normal levels I still don't get much heat through the vents. I watched the blend door close properly with the affore mentioned access panel removed (OK) and felt the heater core ( reasonably hot ). This has been going on for about 16 months. Any suggestions? Your last response to me was right on the money!
Steve J. Benson

See if both heater hoses are getting too hot to hold going to your heater core at the firewall?

I know the effluent side was plenty hot, I'm pretty sure both sides were.

Steve J. Benson
Thats the first thing I always check stop leak can clog up a heater core you must make sure both those hoses are getting too hot to hold. If the blend door works then all that is really left is a restricted heater core.

Do you get a sufficient amout of air blowing out of the vents, even if it is cold?

Homer1967
Yes the blower works fine and the selector changes the direction properly. PS this problem started way before the stop leak was added. That was the LAST thing that was done in an attempt to stop the high leak in the radiator as I thought it may be preventing proper fluid levels in the system. PS the heater hoses are too hot to handle.

Steve J. Benson
Aright if the heater hoses are too hot to handle your going to have to look the blend door again because if the hot coolant is flowing thru the heater core then the blend door is the next thing to be looking at.

I am with saturntech9, thats where you should go next.

Homer1967
Gentle men, we are assuming that the heater core is COMPLETELY clean. It may be partially blocked, and only part of the heater core is getting anything at all.

I know you have said that you have flushed the heater core, but have you back flushed it.

Alot of times the crud will not be displaced with regular direction pressure because the path of least resistance has already been created.

I suggest removing the firewal hoses since we know the hot coolant is reaching that point. Then use moderate pressure, feed both orifices with pressure and see if anything else evacuates.

If there is still a problem, then I would suggest your heater core is in need of a replacement.
I would not suggest this lightly as most core are a female dog to replace.

Good luck.

Robertdebeaux
If both hoses are getting too hot to hold then there is some pretty good flow thru the heater core. If you back flush it like Robert says you should be able to see the flow or lack there of it. But in my expernice if both hoses are getting too hot to hold you should be getting some heat inside.

Ya I know what a pain it is. Did it on a '94 in 15 degree weather. Before I torment myself I'll try flushing it again but this time I'll try circulating CLR through it to see what comes out. If all else fails I'll start tearing the dash apart.
Thanks for the commentary

Steve J. Benson
Page 1 of 2