POWERSTROKE POWER STEERING PROBLEM

2000 Ford F-350 • 200,000 miles

Working on a 00 powerstroke and the power steering and brake pedal is hard to move.

A pump was recently put on but no change.
Also regular PS fluid was drained and replaced with ATF fluid

Please advise on troubleshooting problem. Thanks
J.stieg

Get rid of the atf first. Check the hydra vac as it may not be giving the power to both the brake and steering. The pump pumps there first then to the steering.

What is the "hydra vac"? Never heard of it.

J.stieg
It's your brake booster the hydraulic unit behind the master cylinder. It may be bad

It very well could be. I think there is a total of three lines at power steering pump & reservoir. There does not seem to be any return to the reservoir so there could be blockage somewhere.

Just trying to sort these hoses out, the one going to the plastic nipple on reservoir should be return. Looks like a steel pressure on the side of pump, and there is one on the bottom don't know what it is, maybe another return?

J.stieg
I meant to say there isn't any fluid flow returning to reservoir. In first paragraph of last post.

Anyway I will check the brake booster out. I'm open to any troubleshooting techniques.

J.stieg
Common for dirt to make this happen. Flush the system out very well and use the correct fluid.

When was the last time you changed the power steering fluid?