POWER STEERING WENT OUT RED FLUID EVERY WHERE AND IS LEAKING FROM A GASKET ON TOP OF THE GEAR BOX. HOW DO I FIX AND PREVENT FROM HAPPENING AGAIN?

2000 Ford F-350 • 90,000 miles

My truck is a supper-duty with a suspension lift kit and big tires. Last night while manuvering around the pump at the gas station I lost power steering. When I got out I found red color fluid all over the floor and even splashed up onto the batery, a guy at the gas station said its because the big tires are a lot harder to turn and that created a lot of preasure and blew the gasket in the top of the steering gear box. Looking closer I found that the fluid is leaking from under the plate in the top of the steering gear box, I also found that the brakes became very hard to push. Why did this happend, what needs to be replaced, and how do I prevent it from happening again?
Oneofthedogs01

It sounds like the O-ring on top of the gearbox blew out. I've never heard of big tires causing this. You could put a larger pulley on the power steering pump to reduce the pressure it produces.

Rivermikerat