TRUCK OCCASSIONALLY NOT STARTING

2000 Ford Explorer • 160,000 miles

Hi,
Occasionally (every month or so) my Explorer won't start.
I get a rapid clicking (not enough power to solenoid, I guess), the other low-power accessories work, but no turning over.
But if I let it then sit for a couple hours, it ALWAYS starts up. It labors a bit at first, but turns over, and then after driving it for 5 minutes, it starts perfectly fine from then on! For month or two anyway.

Any idea what's happening?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Paulschober

Paul: It could be a number of things. Have you checked the basics like making sure the battery terminals are clean and tight?

Hi, and thanks for the reply,
Yeah, I made sure to wire-brush the terminals and tighten them and top up the battery water.
And the engine continues to run if I disconnect the positive lead to the battery while it's running, so I guess that means the alternator's OK.

Paul

Paulschober
Try this, Paul. The next time it happens, I need to to go to the relay box under the hood and locate the EEC relay. That is the electronic engine control relay. They are known to go bad and act like you described. Switch it with another relay in the box that has the same part number and see if it will start.

Let me know what you find.

Hi, thanks for your reply again,

I'll give that a try the next time it dies on me.

Cheers,
Paul

Paulschober
Let me know if that fixes it.