DODGE DAKOTA SENSOR PROBLEM

2000 Dodge Dakota

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota SLT, recently installed a rebuilt engine. I now have a check engine light and it says temp switch defective. I replaced the temp switch and I still have the check engine light. The temp guage is not working and the electric fan stays on. When you shut the key off and turn the key back on the temp guage reads approx 150 degrees, but after it runs for a minute it drops to 0. Someone told me to replace the PCM, which I did with a used PCM, still having same problem. I had the wire check from the temp switch (tan w/black stripe) and it has no voltage. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mvalentino

First of all, put back the old pcm. Used will never work as it will have a vin mismatch and cause many issues.

What is the code number? Codes never identify bad parts, just failed systems.

I went to Auto Zone and they gave me the code PO118 that indicates to replace the sensor which I did and it still doesn't work.

Mvalentino
Codes never identify bad parts, just failed systems.

SYMPTOM
P0118 - ECT SENSOR VOLTAGE TOO HIGH

WHEN MONITORED
With the ignition ON and battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts.

SET CONDITION
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor circuit voltage at the PCM goes above 4.98 volts for more than 3 seconds.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

Sensor ground circuit open
ECT sensor signal circuit open
ECT sensor signal circuit shorted to voltage
ECT wiring harness intermittent problem
ECT sensor
Powertrain Control Module

There is no voltage to wire (tan w/black stripe wire) from temp sensor.

Mvalentino
Ok, thats a start. Look at harness for being trapped somewhere.