WHAT COULD BE THE ISSUE IF IT GOES INTO GEAR WHEN STARTED BUT ONCE PUT IN PARK AND TRIED TO BE PUT BACK IN ANY GEAR IT DOES NOT WORK?

2000 Chevrolet Impala

We have changed the transmission fluid and also the filter. I was driving down the road and it all of a sudden acted like it got kicked into neutral. It would only drive home in 3rd. The next morning I went out and started it up and put it in all gears and it worked but once I put it back into park and then tried to put it back into any gear it would not do anything.
Kkean

Is CEL on? Have codes read. Did setting for a time make it work again?

Fixitmr
No the CEL is not on. It is not throwing any codes.

Kkean
Have you asked them to make sure they scan 'soft' codes, which don't set the CEL and require a different code scanner?

Make sure the shifter linkage isn't slipping. Do you hear any distressing noises from it? Like a grinding, or crunching?

Rivermikerat
Also, I just remembered this: Have the trans fluid pressure tested. Did you hear any noises when the problem started? Like a pop or snapping sound? One or more of the bands that create friction and cause the trans to transfer torque could have snapped.

Rivermikerat