WHEN I START MY CAR AFTER IT HAS BEEN LEFT FOR A FEW HOURS IT STRUGGLES TO START

1999 Volkswagen GTI • 110,000 miles

When I start my car after it has been left for a few hours it struggles to start, it can take 3 or 4 times to get it running and when it does start if I press the accelerater it struggles or stalls, but if I leave it idleing for five minuites it runs ok apart from a stall sometimes when I stop untill the engine heats up.

any advice you could give would be appreciated.
thanx
vinnie
Vinnie19817

Take a look at plugs to see if it's running rich(dark) or lean (light) causing problem.

Fixitmr
Check for any fault codes stored, also check coolant temperature sender, clean out the throttle body, check the vacuum booster valve, check all vacuum lines for damage. Check the overrun cut off valve. These are all common problems with this engine.

Jacksprat
Check fuel pressure is ok, regulator may be bleeding down, try turning on ignition then off then on to build up fuel pressure and see if it then starts straight up.

Mhpautos