THE TEMP GAUGE IS FINE, BUT IT CONKS OUT FROM APPARENTLY OVERHEATING. AFTER YOU WAIT A WHILE TO LET IT COOL DOWN IT WILL START BACK UP.

2004 Volkswagen GTI • 57,000 miles

I have put more coolant in but it didn't take much. It runs ok while at speed but conks out when it is stopped or nearly stopped.
Adman

Check your idle air control valve, its bolted to the throttle body.

Merlin2021
Not being a mechanic, I have no idea where the throttle body is. But, why would the problem develop when the engine is overheating if it is related to the idle control? Are you saying that you don't think it is related to overheating? I am relatively certain that it is related to overheating, despite the temp gauge not indicating that. Thank for you response.

Adman
If the gauge isnt showing a problem, why do you think its overheating?

Merlin2021
I need to find the owners manual, but I seem to remember the gauge being oil temperature. The problem started several weeks ago when I was sitting in a world-class traffic jam. Stop and go for over four hours. I developed a hunch that it was overheating but would restart when it had time to cool down. During colder weather it has been doing ok. Until the past couple of days when the weather has been much warmer. Today it was in the mid-70's. I hope I am wrong about it being related to overheating, but that has been my thinking. I need to find the owner's manual and confirm what the temp gauge actually is reporting -- oil or water. Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

Adman
I found the owner's manual. The gauge is the coolant temperature (as you probably knew). And there is an idiot light to indicate overheating as well.

So, you are apparently right. Although, I don't understand why the engine would start back up after it cools down if it is an idle control valve. Although I suppose it might expand and contract due to heat.

Thank you for your help and for not going off on me for being ignorant. ; )

Now I need to figure out how to locate the throttle body and the control valve. Is this something I can repair myself? Is it expensive? I am pretty much wiped out financially and I can't afford to pay a mechanic.

Adman
I don't understand why the engine restarts after waiting up to 30 minutes. That is why I thought it was overheating. That it needed time to cool down before it would restart.

Please advise. Thanks again.

Adman
Ok a stall when coming to a stop is either vacuum or idle air control, but not restarting until it cools off can be the crank position sensor. Is your check engine light on? If yes go to Autozone they will read the codes for free. Post all codes here.

Merlin2021
I would focus on the overheating!

Common issue is a broken water pump or burnt out radiator fans.

With the engine at idle, turn the A/C on and check to see if both radiator fans are running.

Exovcds
Check engine light is not on. But, can reading the codes help anyway?

Adman
Not if your light hasnt come on. Crank sensors can be heat sensitive without setting a code. To check for engine temperature I use an infrared thermometer, and aim it at your thermostat, when the fan starts, take a reading, it should be in the 220 to 224 degree range. And as exovcds said, when the a/c is turned on, the fan should come on with the compressor. Thermometer can be bought at a parts store.

Merlin2021
Page 1 of 5