SERPENTINE BELT PROBLEMS

1999 Pontiac Montana • 6 cylinder FWD • 135,000 miles

I recently replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner on a '99 Pontiac Montana. The belt had signs of wear and after replacing the belt the tensioner broke. I have had the new belt on for two weeks and it started squealing. The squeal would go away after running for a few minutes, but would come back after shutting the car off. I checked the belt and noticed that the belt material appears to be degrading. The back side of the belt feels gummy. I found the power steering resevoir to be empty. Is it possible for the power steering fluid to have caused the belt to deteriorate? I feel like The power steering pump needs replaced but I don't want to just throw parts at this.
Jachang61

If you have power steering fluid leaking onto the belt, that will certainly ruin it. You need to determine exactly what is leaking and repair it, then replace the belt and wash all the pulleys.

Wrenchtech