INSTRUMENT CLUSTER

1999 Lincoln Continental • V8 2WD Automatic • 163,200 miles

I have a 1999 Lincoln Continental with floor shift. Recently, once I've been driving for a few minutes, the display to the left (MPG, Range, Etc.) Will start flashing with all sorts of hieroglyphs. The rest of the cluster's lights will flicker as well. Is this a problem with the cluster itself, or with the computer. And is the cluster replaceable?

Brendan.boose

That sounds like the cluster itself is going bad. And yes, it is replaceable. I am assuming this is a digital dash. If that is incorrect, let me know.

Yes, it is a digital dash. I see that they sell them out of scrapped cars on ebay and they are guaranteed by the seller to work. Are there at least basic outlines on how to replace it, and do you think this would be a good way to go?

Brendan.boose
Based on your description, I would say yes. As far as replacement, disconnect the battery, remove the trim around the cluster, that will expose the screws that hold it in place. Remove them, remove the cluster, and then the wiring.

Thanks for your help. I think I will do that. Almost certain it's the right one, just thought i'd have you take a look. Again, thanks for the help.

Brendan.boose
Let me know how it goes for you.