HOW TO REMOVE A FRONT COIL SPRING ON A REAR WHEEL DRIVE VAN

1999 GMC Safari • 145,356 miles

I need to replace the lower ball joint and I have to remove the lower arm so that I can have the old ball joint pressed out. The spindle has been taken out that also has to be replaced I need to take the coil and the shock out and I'nm not sure how to do this any help will help thanks
David
Kingtroll20

Only do this if you havea spring compressor at your disposal.

1. Raise and support vehicle with jackstand under frame, with control arms hanging free. Remove wheel and tire assembly. Remove shock absorber. See SHOCK ABSORBERS .

WARNING: Securely bolt Spring Remover (J 23028 01) to floor jack, and install safety chain through lower control arm and coil spring to prevent personal
injury.

2. Install Spring Remover (J 23028 01) on floor jack. Position assembly under lower control arm so bushings seat in grooves of spring remover.
3. Remove stabilizer bar to lower control arm retaining bolt, nut and washers. Disconnect stabilizer bar from lower control arm, and remove rubber grommets and bushing assembly. Raise floor jack to release spring
tension on lower control arm pivot bolts. Install safety chain around coil spring and through lower control arm.

CAUTION: DO NOT apply force on lower control arm and ball joint to remove coil spring. Coil spring can easily be removed by maneuvering spring.

4. Remove lower control arm pivot bolts and nuts (rear bolt and nut first). Carefully lower floor jack until all tension is released from coil spring. Remove safety chain and coil spring from vehicle.

Installation

NOTE: Coil spring must be positioned with tape at lowest position. Bottom of spring is coiled helical, and top is coiled flat with a gripper notch near end of spring
coil.

1. Position coil spring onto lower control arm. Ensure spring insulator is in place. Raise control arm with spring remover and floor jack. Ensure coil spring is properly positioned, with end of lower spring coil covering
one drain hole in lower control arm, and clear of or partially covering other drain hole.
2. Install lower control arm pivot bolts and nuts (front bolt and nut first). Pivot bolts must be installed with nuts toward rear of vehicle. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure. Tighten bolts and nuts to

Where can I get a spring compreser and what is a spring remover

Kingtroll20
They are the same thing, check with an auto parts store they may rent them.

Kingtroll20