DODGE DURANGO AXLE PROBLEM

1999 Dodge Durango • 130 miles

The rear passenger side wheel is getting super hot and smoking if I drive it have replaced brake shoes but is still doing it any ideas?
Jesslee

Are the brakes properly adjusted? Is the parking brake sticking?

I do believe they are adjusted correctly and the park brake does'nt seem to be sticking

Jesslee
If you lift the rear of the vehicle in the air, can you turn the wheels?

Yes you can there is a slight noise from the passenger side that is having the issue though

Jesslee
It has to be a brake. Are the return springs correctly attached? Is there any noise that would indicate a bad axle bearing?

When I installed the brakes I used a manual it looks same as that so am assuming they are on correctly. There is a noise that is fairly constant when driven so am guessing it could be a bad axle bearing I believe you have to have that bearing predded out and new one in though am I correct? Any ways to actually check the bearing?

Jesslee
Oops *pressed

Jesslee
You have to remove the rear axle to get to the axle bearings. One way to determine if you have a bad bearing is when turning, the sound chances. If you are only hearing a very slight noise, I don't know if that would cause it to heat up enough to smoke. Make sure the differential is full of gear lube. That is what lubes the bearing.

Are you able to take a pic of the brakes and upload them for me to see? I still feel something is wrong there. Are the hold down clips secured?

Iwill get a picture of it in the morning and upload it for you to see I had wondered about the differential lube will check thatas well

Jesslee
That is easy to check. There is a rubber plug on the back of the diff. The gear lube should be to the top of the plug opening. Let me know and I will take a look at the pics and hopefully find the problem.