ELETRICAL ISSUES

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe • 207,000 miles

My truck would just shut off. No check engine light, however the dashboard light come on dim, both turn signal is lit solid and high beam light is lit. When I do turn on my lights, all lights on the dash turns off, but the chime still work. Cranks normal, wont start. I plugged in a lower end OB2 scanner to see if it would give me something. Ironically, as soon as I plug it in, the dashboard goes to normal, truck starts up like its brand new, drive fine with the scanner still plugged in; unplug problem resurface. If u put a high end scanner(the 7-9 grand), the prob is still there, but the device reads no connection. After I took it home, I unplug the ICM, I hear all the modules cycle, like a reset. Plug it back in and I have a brand new truck (for 24 hrs it seems like). I did replace the ICM. It works well for 2-3 weeks, now the problem is back. Any ideas before I start throwing away money.
G_Smooth1

Oh a few shops I went to, the mechanics first words were WTF

G_Smooth1
What happens if you try old ICM again?

Fixitmr
Or did you have to trade it in? Did you get new or used?

Fixitmr
Does plugging low end scanner with new ICM work too?

Fixitmr
I replace the ICM out of process of elimination. I had replaced that when I had initially bought the truck. It was still under warranty so I trade it at no cost. It did work for like 3 weeks without an issue. With the new ICM, yes the problem is the same today.

G_Smooth1
What was the time period between replacements? Was original cause for purchasing the same?

Fixitmr
The original one was purchased about a year ago. The original was part of a major tune-up I did. (Originally I replaced distributor, cap-n-rotor, TPS, MASS air flow, etc

G_Smooth1
Ok so dont sound like that part is cause. What about wiring/plug issue? That yr is also known for cluster issues.

Fixitmr
Maybe a ground connection somewhere?

Fixitmr
Would a bad ground cause the dash to act the way it is currently?

G_Smooth1
Page 1 of 2