CHEVY CLICK ON STARTING, BUT PUMPING GAS PEDAL W

1995 Chevrolet Tahoe

1995 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 46000 miles

My 1995 Tahoe with 46K miles has a problem when not being driven regularly. It will just click when I turn the ignition key. The first time this happened, I pumped the gas pedal (throwback to the old days?) And sure enough, it then started. My husband says it makes no sense, it must be the battery. Today he tried to start it - just clicked. Gave it a jump. Just clicked. Told him to pump the gas pedal, then it started for him, too. What could this possibly mean?
Meg12

Honestly, I feel that pumping the gas pedal isn't causing the car to start. To me, it sounds like the starter is going bad, perhaps the solenoid. What you could try is this. Have a helper turn the key to the start position (where it will click) while another person checkes for power to the smaller wire on the starter. It should be getting 12 volts when in the start position. If it is, chances are the starter solenoid is going bad. If it isn't getting power, then move to the starter relay.