CHEVY SILERADO ABS BRAKES ENGAGING AT LOWS SPEEDS

1999 Chevrolet Silverado

My abs brake kick in at low speeds while applying the brakes. I originally thought it was a speed sensor. I wasn't positive so I took it to a GM dealership and had them take a look at it. They told me I need a new brake switch. According to them its a $20.99 part. However when I searchd online for it I only found brake light switch. I highly duobt this is what I'm looking for. I am still thinking its a speed sensor. Would I get a abs code for my problem? How do I get abs codes? I have a scanner that detects OBD2 codes but not sure if it picks up abs codes.
Chevyman54173

You can get ABS codes, but your scanner needs to be able to read them. If you have a basic scanner, it is most likely designed to read engine codes only. Chances are it is a sensor on one of the wheels that is bad.

You are talking speed sensor right? How would I know which one? Or should I just replace both? Where is this sensor located and can I replace it myself?

Chevyman54173
It is a speed sensor, however, they are ABS sensors. If you have 4 wheel ABS, each wheel will have a sensor. If the light is on, have the computer scanned to identify where the problem is coming from. Most parts stores will do it for free.

I don't have a light on. I wish I did cause it would make this much easier. And I'm not sure if I have 4 wheel ABS.

Chevyman54173
I believe you do. Check behind the front backing plates (behind rotors) for wiring. Make sure nothing is damaged to the sensors. Wiring can get damaged. Also, make sure the stater isn't overly dirty.

Are these sensors easy to get at? I'm not sure where they are.

Chevyman54173