VOLVO S70 CLICK PROBLEM

1998 Volvo S70 • 24,300 miles

No crank no start problem. Car was being driven on road when some stuttering was noticed, then the sensation of a belt breaking? Car died and will not restart. Battery reads 12volts.
When ignition key is turned to start position a faint click comes from the center of the engine compartment. Solenoid and starter do not operate. When holding key in start position the faint clicking continues about every 3 seconds to no avail. Tried to jump start did not help.

Hey there,

I've just come across the exact same problem with my 1999 Volvo S70. Mine occured in -30 degree Celsius weather. At first, my starts would take quite some time but the car would eventually start. This time, it was trying to turn over and suddenly just came to a complete halt, no longer turning over. When I turn the key to start position, the clicking happens every 3 seconds along with the flickering of both the interior lights and dash lights.

Did you ever end up finding out what the issue was?

An answer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Pat

Pat_shanks