MY CLUTCH WILL NOT DISENGAGE

1998 Subaru Outback • 190,000 miles

I replaced my clutch when I pulled my engine to replace the head gaskits. The clutch will not let the transmission go in gear. The slave cylinder fully extends but the fork will not release the clutch. There seams to be a lot of play in the shifting fork (inch and 1/4 free travel)and when you push the clutch fork by hand it will not push the pressure plate in. I tried moving the clutch fork foward with a pair of vice grips and it moves some but very hard. What did I do wrong to end up with so much free travel on the clutch fork that the slave rod will not travel far enough to even engage the clutch and why does the throw out bearing not push the pressure plate fingers in when I try to push it foward by hand? This is the first time I have tried to replace a subaru clutch. I used the proper line up tools when installing the new clutch pressure plate and throw out bearing and pilot shaft bearing. You think I might have damaged something when I installed the engine?

THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME,
BOB DILLARD
BOB D

Was the clutch disk installed in the correct direction?

Seems there is a fault with the pressure plate being compressed too far resulting in the excessive clutch fork travel.

Sounds like you need to open it up and investigate thoroughly-you sure the clutch plate is facing correctly/pilot bushing

I PULLED THE CLUTCH ASSEMBLY BACK OUT AND RE ASSEMBLED EVERYTHING AND MADE SURE EVERYTHING WAS PUT TOGETHER CORRECTLY AND IT STILL WILL NOT DISENGAGE THE CLUTCH. DO YOU KNOW IF THERE IS SOMETHING INSIDE THE TRANSMISSION THAT COULD CAUSE THIS?

BOB D
The internals of the transmission would not affect the clutch pedal height and operations. Is the clutch set of the correct type?

At what pedal height do you feel the pressure plate is starting to move? How far does the clutch fork move when pedal is fully depressed?

Did you check the pivot stud for the clutch fork? Is the clutch fork bent?

It is not easy to move the fork by hand nor with a vice grip. If you can use some sort of leverage, you should be able to note how far the fork can move.