SATURN SL1 CLICK PROBLEM

1998 Saturn SL1 • 165,000 miles

Once in awhile when I start the car, it wont shift out of park. What could the problem be? Any help would be appreciated.
SS350

Check/Test the brake switch and the shift interlock control solenoid-

Thanks! I was thinking it was an electrical problem. Where would the shift interlock control solenoid be located?

SS350
Just to add to this the shift interlock solenoid is at the base of the inside shifter the solenoid or the solenoids arm it attaches to at the shifter is gummed up with coffee soda etc. Two main causes of your symptoms bad solenoid or gummed up shifter. Does the solenoid click when stepping on the brake when it wont. Come out of park?

Hi Saturntech9. It just happened again, there was no audible clicking noise. Thanx for the advice.

SS350
Make sure it has power and ground going to it when its not clicking if so most likely bad solenoid.

Thanks again, I will check that out tomorrow.

SS350
Keep me posted can you hear it clicking when the shifter comes out of park?

@ Saturntech9.I Checked the power and the ground to the solenoid and it was ok.I just replaced the switch and hope that's the end of the problem. Thanks again for all of your help. Appreciate it.

SS350
Sounds good you replaced the solenoid?Did you check to make sure the arm it hooks to wasnt gummed up?

Yes. Replaced the solenoid. Everything looked very clean.

SS350
Page 1 of 2