IDLER PULLEY BOLT

1998 Saturn SC1 • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic •

98 saturn sc1. Idler pulley bolt broke off in motor. I tried to take the motor mount out and stripped the head. But, I have carpel tunnel and just had surgery today so, I just need some advice on the easiest way to fix it, without pulling the motor. Thanks
SDHKDC

Here is a picture of it.

SDHKDC
Ok so are you still trying to take the mount out or did you get it?You said the bolt for the idler pulley broke off in the front cover? DId the nipple that goes into the bearing on the front cover break off?

I thought that taking the motor mounts out would help me jack the motor up sideways so I could try to get the bolt out. But I stripped it and didn't get it out. As for the idler pulley the bolt broke off completely and the entire pulley fell off. I am trying to figure out if I can get the piece of the bolt out with out pulling the entire motor. And there are no more saturn dealerships so after I get the end of the bolt out I have to find a bolt the same size. And I guess I need to replace the whole pulley because I'm not sure what caused it to break in the first place, the belt is in great condition and everything else was working right. It broke when I cranked it to cool it off before I brought my daughter out, and when I came out it was makeing a crazy noise and when I reached in to turn the car off, it snapped broke and died.

SDHKDC
If the nuts for the mount a stripped or rounded you can get a deep twist socket for removing rounded bolts or nuts. They sell them at sears. If the bolt fell out or broke off the idler bearing could have siezed you will probably have to end up replacing the front cover on the engine you dont have to remove the engine to do that. Most of the ones I have seen with the idler falling off or coming off ended up needing a front cover.

What are you talking about and how much is a "cover"? I'm confused.

SDHKDC
Are you confused about the sockets or the front cover/timing cover?The front cover/timing cover is the cover that goes over the timing chain that is also where the idler pulley bolts too.A new cover would be really expensive I would get one at pick a part or a junk yard. The sockets are sold at sears there called twist sockets and remove rounded fasteners.

Okay as for the broken bolt, what should I do?

SDHKDC
Did the little round nipple on the front cover break off that sits in the center of the idler pulley bearing?

Yes, I took a closer look and the bolt is not broke. Just the little nipple.

SDHKDC
Then you have to replace the front timong cover.