OLDSMOBILE ACHIEVA ENGINE PROBLEM

1998 Oldsmobile Achieva • 190,000 miles

HI, I was driving today, stopped at a store when I started it and the car devoloped a "misfire". I stopped at 2 auto stores to pull the codes since the check engine light was flashing. Both places could not read anything from the ecu. I put injector cleaner and gas in. Ran it for 12 miles back home with no change. I am open to ideas on how to get the codes from the ecu or to fix it. Thanks, Brian
Shockrim

Did they use a scanner that shows live engine data or just tried to read codes? Does pin 16 at the datalink connmector have voltage? Pins 4 and 5 are grounds.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. They used a live engine data reader. It powers up the scanner then it powers down the scanner before it gets the chance to read it.

Shockrim
Hi again. I decided to look at the spark plugs, found them worn and out of gap. So I cleaned and set the gap. Runs like new again. Still dont know why the ecu wont read.

Shockrim
Glad you got it fixed. Not sure about datalink connector? Sounds like it may be losing voltage or ground?