ACHIVA

1995 Oldsmobile Achieva • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic •

I have a 1995 Oldsmobile achiva 6 cylinder 3.1. When it is cold I have to turn the key to the on position for a few seconds and then start it otherwise it will stall. Also While it is cold it hesitates while driving especially when I am stopped and start to go. The service engine soon light is lit while cold but once warmed up it goes off. I have been unable to get codes because apparently the 94 and 95 GM models came with several differant computer systems in them so the normal readers won't work. Also the "paper clip" test won't work because although it is a ODB I system with the ODB I interface it does not have a B terminal. I confirmed this by looking in the Haynes book for this vehicle. Can you give me an idea of what might be wrong as well as, if possible, how to get the codes without spending $200 on a universal reader? Thanks
Rsupry

Have the computer scanned at a nationally recognized parts store. They will do it for free. As far as the starting problem, I feel it has to do with fuel pressure drop off that requires the vehicle to build pressure back up before it will run. Check that and let me know what you find.

Ok can you give me an idea of how I would check fuel pressure or is the only way to get the code?

Rsupry
Yes, the codes can be read by taking it to a parts store. They will do it for free. As far as the fuel pressure, look on our home page and you will find a "do it yourself" and it will be listed under that page.