98 GS (ENGINE SHAKING AFTER HEAD GASKET REPLACEMENT)

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse • 90,000 miles

Hello I have 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS, the car was working fine if not perfect, the engine sounded like bee, if you know what I mean - stable RPM, it had a little leak from the head gasket I decided to fix, after the head gasket had been replaced, the engine shakes a little bit, and doesn't have stable RPM at idle, the timing belt was off with one tooth, we fixed it - the timing is Perfect now, but it still shakes. Replaced Coil, replaced wires, replaced spark plugs, the Head was done by machine shop, and the installation was perfect - I cannot figure out why is this engine shaking. Some help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Martybg

Sounds like the balance shaft isn't timed right. It's purpose is to counteract normal engine vibration.

Can you give me some advice how I can set it right? And if it's not that, what else could it be - I'm not a mechanic, I'm just trying to collect suggestions for my mechanic

Martybg
The sprocket on the balance shaft will have a timing mark just like on the crank and cam sprockets. Many people successfully set the timing belt on the cam and crank but they think the balance shaft sprocket is just an idler pulley and it doesn't have to be timed, but even one tooth off can cause a vibration. The service manual will show where to find the timing mark on the sprocket and where to set it. I don't have a service manual for your car and I don't even know which engine you have. I prefer the manufacturer's stuff on paper but this company includes a lot more information and troubleshooting articles.