MERCURY TRACER TIMING BELT PROBLEM

1998 Mercury Tracer • 100,000 miles

What is the timing belt procedure to find the timing when belt failed during operation?
Mrsleger

Check our homepage under the DIY section, belts, and there should be a pic for you to follow.

I got it fixed and that answer was not very helpful. Good thing I didnt pay for it

Mrsleger
REMOVAL

CAUTION: Incorrect removal or installation of the timing belt can result in damage to internal engine components.

Remove the drive belt and the drive belt tensioner.

Remove the (A) three nuts and the (B) three bolts and remove the outer engine front cover.
Raise and support the vehicle.
Remove the RH splash shield.

Remove the bolt and the crankshaft pulley.

Align the timing marks.

Remove the timing belt.

1 Loosen the timing belt tensioner bolt.
2 Use an 8 mm Allen wrench and turn counterclockwise.
3 Insert a 1/8 inch drill bit to lock the timing belt tensioner in place.
4 Remove the timing belt.

Inspect the belt for signs of oil contamination.

INSTALLATION

Install the (A) timing belt and remove the (B) 1/8 inch drill bit to release the (C) timing belt tensioner.

NOTE: Install the timing belt over the sprockets in a counterclockwise direction starting at the crankshaft. Keep the belt span from the crankshaft to the camshaft tight while installing the timing belt over the camshaft.

Tighten the bolt.

Roll the engine over two times and recheck the timing marks.

Install the outer engine front cover.

Install the crankshaft pulley.