HEATER NOR A/C IS WORKING

1998 Lexus GS 300 • 112,000 miles

At the end of summer my A/C stopped working. It was not the coolant. It was not the fuse. I have not had any diagnostic info come up when I ran a check. My compressor is working. I have coolant.

I decided to check my heater today since it is cool outside. The heater does not work either!

I am getting air out of the vents.

Any ideas on what can be wrong?
Pamla

So you are saying the blower/fan is working?

Fixitmr
The blower/fan is working. I am wondering if perhaps it is the thermostat. It may be my imagination but it seems the radiator top gets hot quickly. Is there any way to rule this out or to check for another problem?

Pamla
You can check heater hoses going into heater core to see if they are both hot.

Fixitmr
Possible AC ECU problem.

Fixitmr
Hi again! Both hoses leading to the heater core are hot. I had previously run a diagnostic check in the garage. It initially showed code 21 (ECU?) And code 23. When I backed the car out into the sun, both the codes went away.

Pamla
I took my Lexus to a small-time mechanic. He called me back to say the heater is working and that the compressor is bad on the a/c. I have trouble believing this since the clutch was working properly. Do you have any suggestions?

Pamla
I had a friend check the pressure w/ gages. The low side is 70 to 75; the high side is 50. Therefore, the compressor is not compressing. However, the clutch is engaging, the belt is turning the compressor timely. Does this absolutely mean the compressor is bad. There are no squeals or drag on the belt. Note: I did have a mouse under my hood. Could it some wire problem? The a/c is blowing but not cool. If it is the compressor, would you recommend one from a salvage yard?

Pamla
Those readings are funny. Will have to research more. Salvage compressor is fine if it's much reduced from new and if it is guaranteed to work.

Fixitmr