GAS MILEAGE IS CUT IN HALF

1998 Jeep Laredo • 220,000 miles

My front differential blew out on my 4wd a little over a month ago. The mechanic turned it into a 2wd by taking out Im assuming axels or boots. (Not sure what they are called) Anyways. Since all that happened, my gas mileage went from roughly 250 down to 176. Ive already changed the spark plugs. Tire pressure is good, changed gas stations too. I even put some stuff called seafoam to help 'clean' it out. Its due for an oil change now, and needs an alignment. But would that really take that much gas mileage away? Never had this problem before.
Angiej78

If he did not take out the front drive shaft, then there could be extra drag on the transfer case driving the unused front diff. I hope he did it the right way.

Otherwise, are you using 4 wheel drive all the time?

Im going to have to have someone check and see if he took the drive shaft out. I hope he did it right too. The only things I seen him actually remove was the axles, nothing else. Then he put my wheels back on and was done.
And ya, in the mean time, its in 4wd. My gear thing says 4H, N, 4L. I tried putting it in N to see if that would do anything, and it didnt. It wouldnt move.

Angiej78
Did he put any dummy hubs in where the axles went? If they went through the hub assembly, there has to be something there to load the hub bearings,

i am going to get cjmedic involved as he is a jeep expert to confirm my concerns.