WHAT WOULD CAUSE A REPEATING SQUEAK WHILE TURNING?

1998 Ford Taurus • 172,060 miles

I just replaced the wheel hub and bearing on the drivers side of the car. I test drove the car around the block with no issue. The next time I went to drive the car I was greeted by a very high pitched, metal on metal, squeak as I began to turn the car to the left. Now this is not a constant squeak it only happens within a certain distance of the turning of the steering wheel. And what seems to be only to the left. Now I've surmised that it could be a brake pad rubbing on the disc, as it sounds similar to a brake squeal and it is happening in a candance with the rotation of the tires. Now, again it is only happening in a certain area of the rotation of the steering wheel. I'm wondering if this has to do with the brakes or possibly the hub replacement job or if it is something else entirely? My auto mechanics knowledge is that of a novice as you can tell. Hopefully this is enough information to determine where I should look first. Or if you need more information first. Thank you.
Delaney_0513

Check the backing plate when you did the bearing. It may be rubbing on the rotor.

Thank you for the staring point. Wouldn't that cause a constant sound though, or does the backing plate come closer to the rotor as you turn? I'm not doubtimg your advice, just learning. Thanks again.

Delaney_0513
If it is real close, it could be underload only.

Now, again bear with me, the backing plate is located where? And what purpose does it serve?

Delaney_0513
Behind the rotor and it prevents debris from getting on the brakes and also increases cooling to the rotor

Thanks again. I shall try that and see if I have contact with the rotor anywhere. If not, do you have any knowledge as to where I should go from there?

Delaney_0513
To add some information, the backing plate seems to be clear of the rotor. The squeal seems to vary with speed. Normally not starting until over a speed of 30 mph. Also it seems to do so when turning left, however, upon testing the last time the squeal seemed to continue after the steering had returned to center.

Delaney_0513
Not only that but, what was originally a repeating squeak has turned into a constant one when in a turn.

Delaney_0513
Is the axle nut tightened to 180 ft lbs?

Don't have a torque wrench, so I'm not exactly sure. But it is pretty snug. What is more likely to cause this over or under tightening?

Delaney_0513
Page 1 of 2