COOLING FANS

1998 Dodge Stratus • 20,000 miles

Have a 98 stratus. Want to know how the cooling fans work. Low speed and high speed. Does the low start first, then if needed the high speed run. If the high starts does the low stop running or should they both run until cool enough. With the air on in town it will over heat. I have seen them both run but the low stops and the high speed actually runs faster. If the air is on should they both run all the time. I have some info on testing relays with ohm meter. Not sure which setting you use. It has the 2.4 with auto. Thanks craig
Lalfan

The low speed will kick in at lower temp then when the higher temp is reached the high speed fan kicks in.

The info will help you see if the fans are working correctly. Is the upper and lower radiator hoses getting really hot?

Not sure on the hoses.I just know that soon as the high speed turns on the low speed goes off and the high speed actually goes faster when the low shuts off. They should run together for awhile and its seems like the low is shutting down right away. Will have to put my scanner on it to try to read temp correctly. If the air is on should they both be running.

Lalfan
The fan on with the ac depends on the engine temp as well as the low speed running with the high speed.I posted the fan operation and a chart that tells you when the fans should be on and off. In my last post also your scan tool could be reading the incorrect temp if the coolant temp sensor is reading incorrect.I would use a infared temp gun to measure temp where the upper radiator hose goes onto the head. You can also use the infared temp gun to see if the coolant temp sensor is reading the correct temp on your scan tool which would effect the fans operation. Also see if both upper and lower radiator hoses are getting really hot so you know if the thermostat is working correctly.

The top hose feels hotter to me. Is the temp sensor in the middle of the block under the intake? At idle with the scanner and air on both fans on at 199 then as it got warmer the low went off at about 203 and the went faster and stayed on. It was running at 206. With air offthe ran pretty close to your info u sent. It seemed to me that air on at a idle the temp would just keep going up. Would have thought driving in town maybe would have been ok. Thinking I should try a thermostat and probably a new sensor to make sure. So my scanner reads what the sensor reads? When it gets hot she said tranny dont want to shift right. Has codesp1776-p0700-p0420 in it. Thanks

Lalfan
I posted the location of the coolant temp sensor for you.I would also use a infared temp gun to make sure the coolant temp sensor is tracking actual temp.

Those codes dont look good I posted the trouble tree for them.

Was told before that they thought converter was bad because code for that has been there a long time. Transmission does fine until it tries to get hot. Then it dont want to shift. Im sure it could use a filter n new fluid. Otherwise it really seams to do good for the miles and shape its in. Need to talk to you about her 00 ls2 saturn v6 sometime soon. You have helped me several times with all my saturns. Thanks again for the help

Lalfan
From the trouble tree for the transmission code if your going to drop the pan and changing the fluid anyways follow thr trouble tree I posted. Iam remember you I just looked at your user name.I answer so many questions I dont even pay attenion to user names anymore. Start a new question for your friends saturn start the question with this one is for saturntech9 and they will leave it for me to answer. We will figure it out not a problem. Also your welcome for helping you with your car thats what were here for. Start that saturn question there hasnt been many saturn questions coming in lately and that makes me sad lol.