REAR WIPER WON'T SHUT OFF

1998 Chrysler Town and Country • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 292,000 miles

My rear wiper runs continually. Our liftgate has some body damage recently so I picked up a used voyager liftgate and guess what? The wiper still runs continually. What do I need to check? Also the dash lights for the wiper do not turn on. Could be related
Rubantin

There are two insanely unreliable computers involved in running the rear wiper. The HVAC controller with the control switches sends a coded signal to the Body Computer which has a very high failure rate. Start by replacing the Body Computer as a test. You might want to leave that to a professional as it is very difficult to remove. It's plugged in and bolted in front of the brake pedal.

One more bit of info. The problem was intermittent at first. It would turn on by itself for periods of time. Longer and longer over weeks. Then it just stays on.

Rubantin
Sorry gave you some bad initial info. The button lights do turn on and off but it has no effect on the wiper. Still does not shut off.

Rubantin
I'd still suspect the Body Computer based it its history of causing problems with the front wipers. I'm sure the rear wiper circuitry will be the same.

Ok. Just found a good used one on ebay for $59. Will give it a try.

Rubantin
Any advice on making the replacement easier?

Rubantin
There's three 5/16" or 10 mm bolts holding it in. I can't remember if there is also some type of latch, but the module will pull straight down. The hardest part is reaching up there to find those bolts. Use the replacement module to look at the locations of the bolt holes.

OK got a used BCM, put it in and the van starts and stalls. I saw where I might have to do a relearn or reprogram?

Rubantin
Does your van have the factory-installed anti-theft system? I don't recall if this applies to the minivans but the Intrepids can use any Body Computer or Engine Computer from any car if it has factory anti-theft. If it does not have that system, you MUST install a used Engine or Body Computer from a car that also did not have anti-theft. If either computer has that upgrade programming it will teach it to the other one when the ignition switch is turned on. At that point both computers will require a "disarm" signal before they will work. That signal is never coming if the car doesn't have the anti-theft system. That upgrade programming can not be undone so both computers will have to be replaced at the same time before the engine will start. Again, I don't know if that applies to the minivans but it's a big source of frustration for Intrepid and older Neon owners. If you DO have the factory anti-theft system you might just have to relearn "minimum throttle" before the Engine Computer will know when it must be in control of idle speed. Before that is relearned you will not get the nice idle flare-up to 1500 rpm for a couple of seconds when you start the engine and it might only stay running if you hold the gas pedal down 1/4". That relearn procedure should only be necessary if the battery was disconnected or run dead. To relearn minimum throttle, drive at highway speed with the engine warmed up, then coast for at least seven seconds without touching the brake or gas pedals. The only minivan Body Computers I ever replaced were at the dealership with new computers. I didn't have to be concerned with the anti-theft systems because the module would work right out of the box on vans without it, and if it needed to be programmed for anti-theft, that happened automatically from the Engine Computer when the ignition switch was turned on for the first time.

I just checked with the one I bought it from. My van has anti-theft and this one came from a van without it. So, I am sending it back for another one.

Thanks, will update when I get the right one.

Rubantin
Page 1 of 3