WHY IS THE CAR LOSING SPARK?

1997 Volkswagen Golf

Hi, I have a golf 1 1997 model, the car died and wasn't giving spark. We replaced the module, coil and complete distributor with spark plug wires. There is spark now but not enough to start the car. From the coil to the distributor there is a strong spark but it's losing spark to the plugs, what could the problem be as the car still won't start? The timing was set correctly, it is getting fuel and compression is good. Please advise. Thanx Quentus
Quentus

You will have to investigate the rotor cap and leads, check that the carbon bush is intact and the rotor is correct, look for arching at the cap this can be a problem with rotor air gap.

Mhpautos
Hi, we have replaced the complete distributor, rotor and cap with cables all is new. What is the carbon brush is it the copper piece on the rotor? And what am I looking for in connection with the arching in the cap?

Quentus
I ran into this problem when replacing a cap and rotor with aftermarket stuff. If you did that get a genuine vw cap and rotor, the problem is between the cap and rotor.

Vwscott