OVER HEATING

1997 Pontiac Transport • FWD • 118,000 miles

If the heater core is clogged can this cause the car to over heat
Msamgab

With just the heater core clogged up I couldnt see that making it overheat. Did you add any stop leak to the coolant?ALso is the radiator fan and thermostat working ok?

Yes I add stop leak to the coolant in the summer time but it never over heated until now, yes the radiator fan is working, thermostat is new, the heater is working

Msamgab
Yes I add stop leak to the coolant in the summer time but it never over heated until now, yes the radiator fan is working, the thermostat is new

Msamgab
Stop leak can clog the radiator heater core etc. Are both the upper and lower radiator hoses getting really hot?Also what actual temp is the fan coming on at?

Yes they both are getting hot, the fans coming on past 220 before the red mark

Msamgab
That sounds right for the fan. How hot does it get?WHy do you think its overheating?

Because it stays past 210 it never did that before it allways stay at around 180 to 195 then it would go to 210 fan goes on then back to normal temp 180 to 195

Msamgab
220 isnt super hot have you checked your radiator fins for sand animal fur bags etc?

I check the upper and lower hoses agian, the upper hose that goes to the thermostat gets hot, now I felt that the lower hose half of it is cold the lower bottom part of it that connects to radiator and the other half is hot that connects to the water pump housing whats the cause of this

Msamgab
If both hoses arent getting hot then the coolant isnt circulating. Are you sure the thermostat is good?Also how hot was the coolant temp when you check the hoses?

Page 1 of 5