VALVE COVER BOLTS TORQUE

1997 Mercedes Benz 320e • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

What is the torque for the valve cover bolts? MB1997 e320
Petertoro

10Mn or 7 ft. Lbs I just go hand snug

Docfixit
Thank you very much Doc.
You are absolutely right. When I took the valve cover off I tought the bolts were losen up.
I'd ask you something else. The paint is cracked on several spots and I saw that there is a layer of graphite under the paint. I was considering to clean it up and repaint the whole thing. That layer of graphite was there there for a good reason. Thermal coat I assume. If I clean it up and repaint with HITemp paint I'm afraid that the cover might worp without graphite coat. What do you advice me.
Thx
Peter

Petertoro
MB does baked enamale coating. So a primer and HI Temp will be good

Docfixit
Hi Doc

I just examined the inside surface and I saw spots where the paint was gone. Most likely that fine graphite got into the oil which wouldn't be the end of the world. However, the idea that some small piecies of paint might get under the crankshaft bearings scares the **** out of me to be perfectly honest. This engine at 154K is running smooth like new. I will sandblast the whole valvecover inside out and then paint it according to your instructions. I don't think that I can find graphite enamale on the market and even if I could I don't have the technology available at home in order to bake it properly.
Thanks alot Doc, I really do appreciate your advices.
Peter

Petertoro
Check on line for power coating kits it bakes on in an oven so no chance of flaking off

Docfixit
Thank you Doc
I will do that.

Petertoro
Hi Doc

I wanted to replace the cabin airfilters. All 8 screws are out, the lamp is out and disconnected and the latch screw out. However, the gloves box just doesn't want to come out. I seems hooked at the top. This is 1997 E320 6cyl. Line 3.2L rear wheel drive.

Petertoro
See diagrams

Docfixit
Thank you Doc. I did everything according to your first diagram and as I said first time it didn't come out. It is like something on top is holding it. I can't figure out the second diagram tho. Is that about the filter catridges after the gloves box is removed?

Petertoro
Is lamp socket out? Yes second diagram for filters after glove box removed.

Docfixit