AIR CONDITIONING BARELY COOL

1997 Lincoln Continental • V8 FWD Automatic • 68,500 miles

Climate control(EATC?)Does not have much effect on how cold the A/C gets. The A/C low side pressure when running(home use guage, not a proset)is about 45. At rest after sitting an hour or so it measures 70. The low side line gets cold. Can see condensation on some lines near the coolant tank when running. If the system is switched to vent then to automatic or max you can hear/see the compressor clutch snap & run. I only get barely cool to lukewarm air. Someone steer me in the right direction please.
Snosaint

Have you recently had an A/C service done or added refrigerant? When the low side is 45, what is the high side pressure and the ambient temperature?

Danlesabre
I only have a home use guage for the low side, I dont think it works on the high side. Refrigerant was added because it was low(the guage I used for that was borrowed and only had low safe & high or something like that I decided to buy soemthing a little more advanced than that guage)and despite low, the compressor was running and A/C was working about the same as now. The ambient temp was 65-70, inside the car it was warmer.

Snosaint
Since you know the compressor is turning on that is a very good thing. You are kind of blind as far as making a diagnosis without a gauge set that allows you to see whats going on in both the low pressure and high pressure sides. On the R-134a system you need the have the right amount of refrigerant in the system. Back in the R-12 days you could be off by a lot and still have cold air. With the R-134a if you are over or under by even a 1/2 pound it could cause the system to not blow cold. To further diagnose this problem you need to get a gauge set that does both sides (hi & low pressure sides). And the low pressure valve is different than the high side valve on purpose so you can not connect gauges wrong. If you get a better gauge set let me know what you find and the ambient air temp. I usually check my email once a day so I can reply pretty promptly. PS- the high side is well over 200 psi so don't try hooking up that low side gauge to it.

Danlesabre
Can you at least tell me what my lowside should measure at 65, 70, 75 & 80?

Snosaint
With the A/C running the low side pressure should be in the 30-40 psi range on a 70 degree day and 40-50 psi range on an 80 degree day.

Danlesabre
Thank you. I needed an alignment do I asked the shop to run tests and let me know what it needs.

Snosaint
How's the airflow coming out of the vents?

During the Winter, I had to improve airflow on my Mom and Pap's '86 Thunderbird (1st car they ever bought new, over 700,000 miles, last time I checked, He rebuilt engine at 600,000!)

The squirrel cage fan, was caked in the fins, and the heater core looked like a 1/4 inch of felt was laid over it.

I removed the fan and cleaned it with a thin toothbrush, Then I put plastic in the floorboard, peeled the "felt off" sprayed it with purple power, rinsed it with the garden hose sprayer.

Unfortunately, I failed to take all of the "Before Pics", It was late, and I was trying to get done.

You can see in the 1st pic, how bad the vanes in the fan were, before I removed it. It barely moved air!

Just something to think about, may not be your problem.

The Medic

You could ask them to diagnose it for you but if you are a "do-it-yourself-er" or are trying to save money all you need is a gauge set that reads both the high and low pressure sides. You can pick one up at any auto parts store. The next thing to do as far as diagnosing your lack of cooling problem is to see what is going on in both the high and low pressure sides.

Danlesabre
Air flow is fine. Plenty cold enough now. As a do it myself much of the time person, I do have time and other condiderations. One for instance is buying tools I will use once and then need to store and care for weighed against the other factors. This was one of those times where it was time & money better spent on my local pro.

Snosaint