97 INFINITY WONT CRANK OVER SOMETIMES.

1997 Infiniti I30 • 89,000 miles

But will sometimes start up with a jump. Starts fine up to ten times then shut it off and try it again a few minutes later and nothing at all. Tried it in neutral and park. Battery good.
Donlie

Have the starter motor checked. It may have a dead spot in the armature.

So you had the alternator and battery tested?Also made sure the battery cables are clean and tight?Do you a multimeter to do some testing?

I was guessing possibly the starter. When it does it, would hitting it with a hammer be a way of checking it? I do have voltmeters. Should I test it for resistance and what should it be?

Donlie
I just got done replacing a shift solenoid in the trans of a saturn today which I had to check with a meter. Similar?

Donlie
Yes you can try hitting it with a hammer while the key is in the start position. Also you can see if the small trigger wire has power at the starter while the key is in the start position.

Ok thankyou. I'll check it out next time it messes up. (Probably tomorrow)

Donlie
Alright keep me posted.

Thankyou for your advice. The starter was smoked. Now I'm trying to find out why the security light is always flashing except when the doors are locked-then solid red

Donlie