SHAKE IN FRONT END

1997 Ford Expedition • V8 4WD Automatic •

On my ford expedition, front end shakes really bad when I go over 60 mph and also when I hit a bump at high speeds I checked to see if it was the bearings they seem fine no movement plus tires starting to wear what should I check
Willy2be

That sounds dangerous, Take it to an alignment shop.

Suspension and steering, you can't find anything with slack/movement? Does rotating the tires help anything? I've seen bad shocks cause a vibration.

I replaced the sway bar bushings they where really worn and lose thought that was the problem. I also inspected tie rods boots are pretty worn but the aren, t loose in anyway also check centerlink seams tight, doenst seam bent also to let you know it goes away when I slow lower then 60. Also had upper control arms replace months ago plus rotors and calibers were changed

Willy2be
When the front end was worked on, did they check the front end alignment? Have you tried rotating the tires, unless you have different tires on the front and rear?

Not sure but when I asked he said no but the way he did the work nothing was move so it should not have affected it I am trying to make sure before I spend money on the alignment no sense if not the problem but by the looks of it i, m going to have to get one just to eliminate that out of the list also when i, m driving I tested the alignment by letting the steering wheel go and but on the brakes (slowly and the truck stayed straight if out of balance or alignment wouldn, t it have pull to one side?

Willy2be
I, m having an alignment and new tires put today I will let you know how that works out thanks

Willy2be
Still got your wheel weights?

Ain't got a glob of mud sittin' on the inside of your rim?

Lift Kit?

Oversized tires?

With the control arm work you had previously done--done by pros?---Was it aligned then?

Are your techs reliable, known them for years type people?

I hate to Down-Grade people. Still don't mean I won't!

Seems that now-a-days, if you don't confiscate the cell phone from the person working for you. Standards fall drastically.

My ****** took her car in for an alignment a while back, where her friend goes for tires and maintenance. The big, New, inexpensive place! She told me to come drive it days later. This being after several days of her performing stunts in it. When I drove her car, it was all over the road. And if you don't know me.I am the best driver n the world. For I drive Real Jeeps!

When I took it back up there, CALMLY DESCRIBING WHAT IT WAS DOING, to a head honcho outside. Immediately. We had done something to it, on our end. It would probably cost more?

Calm-ness was no longer a factor on my end, He did prove he was able to shout louder than me, Thinking he had won, as I hushed up, and walked away. I then, proceeded to inform the people in the waiting room as to what was going on. And why, it was going on? I could not answer that question? This was just a routine, could you see what y'all mighta messed up?

Then the Head feller in the waiting room. Very matter of factly, made me understand what was wrong, he explained it so clearly and so that it would be okay. You know, to give me a warm fuzzy, as to why my ****** and I could have been killed. And so I would no longer be upset.

Reason: THE NEW GUY DID IT!--HE'S STILL LEARNING!--IT AIN'T THEIR FAULT!--IT WAS THE NEW GUY!

.I guess you wing it, as the new guy, no one checks your work. What a Deal. That's how they cut costs!

Now I understand.I understood so well, I took it to the place I go to. People who are really established, been there a long time. Will shoot straight with you. Others in the waiting room, went there too, after I made it clear, the NEW GUY would not be working for me or mine, again. And where I was going next.

So I reckon the moral of my story is. Always have reliable, proven people do your work. Sometimes your life depends on it!

The Medic

The guy who did the work has been doing all my work for as long as i, ve been driving but he is a back yard mechanic but never fail me before problem is he move out of state and I can, t reach him noboby else I can trust believe me I spent alot of money trying to get my explorer working to end up with a blown motor so I want to have an idea before they say it, s one thing when it, s the other

Willy2be
Several years ago, one of my kids had a tranny issue, Had forward gears no reverse. I don't work on trannys. Called a local shop, they told me, they didn't do tranny work either. Recommended a shop about 30 miles away. They replaced tranny with reman. At the time, I believe it cost about 700 bucks. I picked up the vehicle, it needed gas. Went to the station about a block from the shop. After I got gas, I checked the tranny fluid, not a drop on the stick. Went back to shop, asked them if they would check tranny fluid, they pulled the vehicle into shop, checked tranny fluid, the two guys under the hood went to arguing, then they filled it up with tranny fluid. They never even test drove it, not enough gas. When I dropped the vehicle off, I told them, not much gas in it, If they needed to test drive, put some gas in it, just put the gas on my bill and I would take care of it.

The point is, all shops make mistakes, you need to double check everything.

Had the alignment done and new tires it seem to be better but I need to take it for a highway drive to know better I will let you know how it works and yes it was really off alignment they said so cross my fingers

Willy2be
Good luck