WHY DOES CAR SHIFT HARD INTO REVERSE AND DRIVE AND SOME OTHER GEARS?

1997 Eagle Talon • 115,000 miles

I have a 1997 eagle talon with turbo engine. When I shift into drive or reverse, most of the time the car clanks/slams into gear pretty hard. Sometimes it even does it while shifting during driving. It is automatic transmission. The clanking is intermittent. Sometimes it won't do it all and it shifts nice and smooth, can't even feel it. Other times it can slam hard enough it makes the engine almost die. I have replaced all mounts on the engine and transmission. I have already replaced all engine and tranny mounts, which didn't do anything. I have checked the fluid and it is fine. Sometimes it slams hard enough the engine moves like three or four inches at least.
Cstaff25

You sure the idle speed is not too high and ignition timing is correct? Might want to inspect the driveline/U joints for excessive play if it continues have the transmission pressure tested-

This is a internal transmission problem. Most likely

Billymac
Thanks for such fast response. The idle speed is high in park, but in drive or reverse it idles normally.

Cstaff25
What's the idle speed rpm reading?

Its sporadic. Most of the time in park it goes up and down between 1000-1500 rpms. Every now and then I can put it in park and it will stay around 700 rpms. Drive and reverse are the same to each other. They both usually idle at 600-750 rpms. Every now and then right after a cold start I can stop at a stoplight and the car will idle really low, like 200-300 rpms and almost dies. After it warms up for a minute that stops though.

PS: the intensity of the bang seems to be worse the warmer the car is, due to thinner fluid I guess

Cstaff25
Check the idle air control valve and EGR valve

Do I need to just see if they are clogged or anything because I don't have the tools to check and see if they are working properly? By the way my check engine light is on and I had someone run a code and he said it was something to do with heating and it was probably just an oxygen sensor. Would that be relevant to these problems?

Cstaff25
I don't think the oxysgen sensor will caused a hard shift

Okay I went out to take a look at the IACV and the EGRV today. I found out that I can't get to the EGRV, but with some more time I think I can get to the IACV, so I will get back to you when I figure that out.

PS: This might be a dumb question, but why would one of these be causing the hard shifts, when the idle is in the appropriate range that is? I understand why if it's idling high.

Cstaff25
Most of the time in park it goes up and down between 1000-1500 rpms. That's why I gave you the IACV and EGR-bring it in and have the transmission pressure tested