TRANSMISSION IS LEAVING FROM INSIDE THE BELL HOUSING, JUST PUT A J/Y TRANSMISSION IN IT LAST WEEK.

1991 Eagle Talon • 146,000 miles

When I put the torque it bottomed out and the ribs on the converter rubbed the bell housing. I was told that it would stop doing that when the tranny was full. It didnt. And I lost all the tranny fluid from somewhere inside the bell housing. I just finished pulling the tranny and putting another new seal in it and the original torque Converter and I get the same result fluid is pouring out when running. Some one just suggested that the shaft is to short and thats why the converter was rubbing and why it wont hold pressure. Please advise. Ive pulled this tranny out twice and put it back in on the ground in my driveway and I am about to lose my mind.
Tgen74

What was original problem in the first place?

Fixitmr
Not sure. i bought it needing a transmission. the guy i bought it from said he had the transmission flushed and serviced and 2 months later he got in it in the morning put it in gear and it didn't go anywhere. since i put the j/y transmission in it actually drives perfect except for the fluid pouring out from inside the bell housing when started. it just spins out and gets all over the bottom of the car. its obvious that its coming from inside the housing. I am at a loss and desperate. the car calls for an F4A22 on the Dsm sticker. there are no numbers on the tranny its self anymore. ive used these two links for info. http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Transmission-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?Transmission=F4A22-2 and http://atdsm.com/pdf/atoh2.pdf

Tgen74
Trans came with TC or you used the old 1?

Fixitmr
Last week I put the TC that came with the j/y transmission tonight when I changed the seal I put the original TC back in. Same result despite th e change of TC and 2 new seals

Tgen74
Done any comparisons with old trans?

Fixitmr
Pertaining to what exactly? I did a visual inspection, all bolt patterns are the same, electrical connectors. Pans size and shape. The only thing I didn't do and know am unable to was measure the transfer shaft to see if there was a difference. Other than that they looked identical and matched up perfect upon install with NO mods

Tgen74
Possibly new trans has defect? Soft plug missing? Bad clearnces?

Fixitmr
Thinking the same thing. Looking to just trade it in tomorrow. It was hard enough finding a transmission for that car as it was.

Tgen74