PITMAN ARM INSTALLATION

1997 Dodge Ram • V8 FWD •

Hi, I am installing a Pitman arm on my 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 (2WD). Is there supposed to be anything in between the pitman arm and center link?
Tomshanty

Are you referring to a rubber dust cap? Some use a rubber cap, some use a foam washer, some use nothing.

Yes, there was a rubber dust cap on the old pitman arm and there is a foam washer on the new one. The old rubber dust cap was so mangled after removal that I couldn't tell if there was supposed to be anything else in between.

Something else that makes me curious is the metallic pop when removing it from the center link. I presume the "pop" is normal, but I don't see anything that would make it "pop" back in to place securely.

Tomshanty
If I understand correctly, the pop you heard was due to the tapered stud being wedged in the hole. It takes a lot of pressure to break it free. The new one will gradually become wedged tighter as you tighten the nut. Because of the threads, it doesn't take much pressure on the wrench to tug really hard on the stud. The main thing to watch is once you reach the required torque on the nut, do not loosen it to line up the hole for the cotter pin. Always tighten the nut to the specified amount, then go some more until you can get the cotter pin through.

The foam insert is just there to help keep dirt and water out.