NEED ADVICE FOR A 97 OVERHEATING

1997 Dodge Intrepid • 175,000 miles

Have a 97 Dodge Intrepid that overheated for the first time over the weekend. I took it to a shop and got a run around. They did a pressure test and didn't find anything. The mechanic said he drove it and it did not over heat but then for some reason he added water to the radiator and then it overheated. I received a call from the mechanic and he "suggested" to change the water pump, belt, and thermostat. When ask if they all were bad or just recommended he could not answer me. He just said I suggest. Then I talked to the manager about what is going on. I received a call back saying my engine block is cracked and they found coolant in the engine. They gave me a quote to replace the engine. Does this make sense to anyone because I feel like I am getting Jacked?
Jvpayer

Yes, you're being jacked-go get a 2nd opinion on the cracked block. As a tech-the 1st thing I check is coolant in the crankcase-which will look like milkshake-if none-I go thru the cooling system-they should have pin pointed that when they did the pressure test-

Well if they are right or not don't really matter because they certainly went the wrong way to determine the problem. If they found coolant in the oil there are more then one explanation for this a cracked block is the least common. Could be a headgasket which is typical an intake gasket. This is where the pressure test comes in to determine exactly which is the real problem.

Now certainly a new engine although expedicious and certainly more profitable would solve the problem.I would have to say start over new shop tell them your story and advise them that you want to know a new engine is needed and have them explain everything you want to know. You have a legal right to know the facts and have a expert diagnosis of your problem. Good luck

Billymac
Both replies sound good. I will definitely get a second opinion and hopefully get to the cause.
Thanks for the info.

Jvpayer
Yw

Billymac