FANS

1997 Dodge Caravan • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 130,000 miles

Have problem with mt 97 dodge van. Niether the condensser fan or radiator fan is working. Checked all fuses. All ok.
Gary
Garfred

Suspect the relay. Instead of the extremely reliable part it used to be, it's a computer module now to provide variable fan speeds to address the whiny complaints that people could actually hear the fans run. As all computers, it gives lots of trouble, and is a common failure item.

The relay lives about halfway down along the driver's side of the radiator. It has four wires and is bolted to the core support. When you mount the replacement, be sure the metal surface is clean and the relay is bolted solidly for good heat transfer. If it is not bolted to sheet metal, it can get hot enough to burn your hand.

Will try. Found one at wrecking yard. Only the relay on mine is on the drivers side frame rail under air scoop at the support.
Garfred

Garfred
Not exactly sure where you mean, but I remounted some under the radiator where they were easier to reach.

There was a recall or service bulletin too about them. It had something to do with the mounting screws breaking. That would let the module overheat and short.

Thanks cardio.

It was on the frame. Just right of the fan support looking down in the engine comp. Had to take all of aircleaner stuff off to get to it. Anyway they both work now.
Thanks for all your help.

I will try and find someway to repay you as soon as I can.

Garfred

Garfred