A/C MAKES CLICKING NOISE

1997 Buick Riviera • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 220,000 miles

I have a 1997 Buick Riviera (VIN K) Not S/C.

The A/C starts making a steady clicking noise (fairly loud) after about 5 minutes of running the A/C (and the noise continues as long as I run the A/C). My mechanic told me that I needed a new compressor. The interesting thing is (at least for me) is that I still get cold air (and my refrigerant pressure is good (according to the mechanics).

My question is, is it necessarily that I need an entirely new compressor? Or, could it be that I just need a new clutch? And, if that is the case, how can I tell whether it is the clutch that needs to be replaced or the entire compressor? (I thought since I was still getting cold air maybe it wasn't the compress that is bad?).

Thanks.
Wpharding

So why did he say you needed a compressor then because of the clicking noise?So the a/c clutch could be cycling on and off.

Yes, I brought it in for the clicking noise.

Wpharding
So is the a/c clutch turning off and on causing the clicking noise?If so that is usually caused by a pressure issue or too low or too much a/c charge in the system. But you said that was all good could you maybe have a loose connection to the a/c clutch causing this I have had cars with loose connections cause this problem.

First, thank you saturntech9 for taking the time to reply.

Second, I think that it is because of the clutch turning on/off, but I do not know that for sure. When I look/watch at the clutch it seems to have a rhythm similar to the clicking noise (but it could be my imagination).

Yes, according to my mechanic the pressure were all "text-book."

How could I tell if I have a loose connection? By beginning to remove the clutch?

Thanks again.

Wpharding
If the center of the a/c clutch is spinning the clutch is on. If the center isnt spinning its off.I would tell you to wiggle the wire while its on and see if you can change the cycle of the clutch but the compressor is on the bottom and could be dangerous trying that. So with the engine shut off unplug the a/c compressor look at the terminals on the connector see the terminals look open the terminal should be closed to make a good connection. If you could some how post a good a pic of the terminals I could tell you how they look.