MY A/C SYSTEM WILL NOT WORK AFTER A RECHARGE OF THE SYSTEM.

1989 Buick Riviera • 117,256 miles

My touchscreen says that my A/C compressor has been disengaged due to low coolant level. I had a tech add coolant into the system, but the compressor will not start again. Is there any way I can reset the system so that the coolant level will indicateb that the level has been brought up to capacity or does the compressor supposed to recognise this? Is it possible that the compressor is faulty?
GordonWayne

There is also a pressure switch that tells the pressure of the system. What is the pressure in the system?Do you have any codes in the computer?

This car is pre code, but it does have a touch screen. I can ask the tech what the pressure was on the system. Would you know where that switch would be found?

GordonWayne
Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to clear the code and it will start but you have to get it filled pretty quick or it will set the code and shut down again.

Wrenchtech
You do have codes on your car its a obd1 system.I posted how to get any ac codes you have let me know what the code numbers are?ALso the pressure switch would be on the ac line to measure pressure. But lets see what codes you have first.

The ATC system will set a low refrigerant code and shut the compressor off when it starts short cycling, just like the Caddy. You just have to clear to code to charge it. The compressor will kick back in then.

Wrenchtech
It says you can select the code reset test type on the screen then it will say codes clear then you can see if it works. Thanks for your info wrenchtech.

Disconnecting the battery is much easier I find.

Wrenchtech