TIMING BELT REPLACEMENT PROBLEM

1996 Honda CRV • 200,000 miles

Hi, I had my timing belt replaced on my 1996 Honda CRV about a year ago. When I picked up the car from the service department, I started the car and it blew a bunch of white smoke out of the exhaust. I drove it around the corner and the white smoke stopped coming out. I thought everything was ok. (The car never smoked before the timing belt change). Now when I sit at a redlight for more than a minute, white smoke blows out the exhaust. Is there something the service department did wrong when they replaced my timing belt? Thanks. Ryan
RyanBrowne

Timing belt replacement should not affect the engine thus and apart from the smoke, are there any other issues such as coolant losses etc?

If the smoke is slightly grey (bluish) thst is most probably due to worn valve seals which can deteriorate due to age and mileage.

No coolant loss that I know of. The smoke looks white as far as I can tell. The engine had a head job at 150,000 miles, and has worked fine till I got the timing belt changed. Thanks

RyanBrowne
Slightly bluish is oil burning but if it is completely white, that should be water.

Monitor the engine oil level and see if there are any consumption.