98 CR-V TIMING BELT

1998 Honda CRV

I just got oil changed and they told me I need my timing belt replaced. My honda has 121k. I live in MA around how much should it cost? They told me about $375 at a Shell service place.

Please Help!
Thank you
Brazuka

For the work involved and the part, I would say that is a fair estimate. I offer two comments, I would certainly want to know whether they are used to working with the foreign car and have done a number of these. Second, have them replace the water pump while they are in there. Then one last item, have them check out the tensioner on the timing belt. All this while they have it apart. Should save you money in the long run or even the short run.

Happy Easter!

Bruce Hunt
Also tell them you want original honda parts. The prices shouldn't be that bad. Also keep in mind the valve cover gasket needs replaced during this operation and inside the valve cover are 4 spark plug tube seals. Make sure they replace those as well. They run about $3 each from honda.

Lostinmars
Is that $375 labor or is that labor plus parts?
I normally replace the cam seals and the oil seals while in there. I don't want oil leaking on my new t-belt. I also replace the water pump, tensioner roller, and the drive belts. The valve cover has to come off so might as well adjust the valves and replace that gasket, the spark plug well seals and the seals under each nut. If the spark plugs have more than 60k miles on them, replace them too. It is important to replace the parts that could affect the longevity of the repair (seals/rollers) since Honda recommends t-belt replacement at 105k miles, you want everything else to hold up until next time. Don't let them just " throw a belt on on your motor"

Carboy