CAR WANTS TO DIE WHEN YOU TURN ON THE AC AND PUT IT IN GEAR

1995 Toyota Camry • 224,000 miles

I have recently put a head gasket on the car, replaced the EGR, and it just wants to stall when put in gear if you have the AC on

Brianburggraf

Clean the idle air control valve and test the throttle position sensor

I have cleaned the IAC and changed the TPS, though I havent tested either to see if they are working right

Brianburggraf
Have the valve clearances checked/adjusted. Insufficient clearances would cause idling problems.

You should be cleaning the inside of the throttle body in addition the the IAC.
First eliminate all vacuum or air leaks in the system. You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

Wrenchtech
I have cleaned the throttle plate, tending to think the IAC is just gone bad. Doesn't idle up any when AC is switched on

Brianburggraf
While cleanng the IAC, ensure the valve moves freely. They can get stuck and some cleaning and WD-40 would help to loosen the valve.

Have taken the electronic magnet part of the circuit off and turned the valve by hand while it was running and it idles up, so I am figuring its bad

Brianburggraf
I hope this fixed it, I was going to suggest a bad A/C pump or bad pulley bearings/clutch. Let me know if you got her fixed. I've had similar problems, and fixed it this way. Thanks!

ProAutoTech