POPCORN TYPE NOISE

1995 Oldsmobile Silhouette • 175,000 miles

1995 olds silohette 175000 mi. Was told the timing chain is bad because of a popcorn type noise but I feel the vibration mainly on the belt tensionor replaced ps pump, water pump, alt tensioner pulley. Doesnt sound internal. Any ideas
Stevewierzba

Go to another shop and get a second opinion. We cannot hear the noise and can only guess. Get a couple of opinions before making your decision.

Use a long screw driver. Put it to the timing cover. Then put the handle to your ear. Youll hear it. Then u can put it on different componites to trace the noise down.

Cadieman
When I take off the belt and run the engine the noise goes away.

Stevewierzba
Then it is an external pulley or bearing making noise. Spin all the pulleys to see if you can hear the noise.

Then its something in the drive pullys trace it like I said.

Cadieman
Ive replaced all but the tensioner arm. Hmmmm thank you much for the insight

Stevewierzba
U didnt replace the altenator the a/c compressor or vacuum pump if equipted. If it was the tensioner. The pully would be to loose or tight.

Cadieman
Did attenator and ive bypassed the a/c (froze up)im lost arrggghhhh!

Stevewierzba
Put the belt back on and listen to the pullys like I said and stop buying parts

Cadieman
Thanks harmonic balancer now that ive done that it wants to die after about 20 mins of driving! WTF is wrong with this van it never ends. Replaced coil packs and ignition module tests fine(even after 20 repeats) lost again. Lol

Stevewierzba