DASBOARD LIGHT ON

1995 Nissan Pulsar • Automatic • 176,000 miles

The top light on dashboard comes on orange and written across it is word CHECK. There water, oil, brake fluid, transmission oil all up to their marks - but the container next to the brake fluid container on the left hand side, has a line which says highest level when cold and another for lowest level when cold and also has a level which says says highest level when hot and another for lowest level when hot. What is this container? What do I top it up with? As level 1cm lower than both low level lines. Is this why the orange light comes on? Is this why the car every now and then just stops and won't go, but leave it a day or so and it will again.

I live on an Island and this is the Island car and the lads I have asked don't know.

Many thanks,

Lois
L Broom

That is the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) or Check Engine Light (CEL) as commonly referred to. An error has been detected by the engine management system and you need to retrieve the trouble code to find out what is wrong. the link below explains more in detail.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-read-diagnostic-trouble-codes-video

As to the container you are referring to, I believe that is the power steering fluid container. On top of the cap it would be stated what fluid to use for topping up. Hot means at operating temperature, meaning the vehicle has been driven for at least 20 minutes.

This should not be the cause of the MIL indicating.